Mark your calendars for our Free Reading Period beginning March 1, 2016. Now accepting entries for the Haunted Waters Press Fiction & Poetry Open and Round One of the 2016 Penny Fiction Flash Fiction Competition. See details below.
Dear Lovely Contributor,
Thank you for considering Haunted Waters Press. We are an independent publisher located in the shadows of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia along the banks of the Shenandoah River. We publish works from new, emerging, and established writers. We are interested in stories that entertain us, stories that captivate us, but most of all, stories that haunt us. We look forward to reading your work!
Susan Warren Utley
Savannah Renée Spidalieri
Editors, Haunted Waters Press
What we are looking for…
Our goal is to bring to our readers engaging fiction in the forms of poetry, prose poetry, short stories, and novellas. We welcome both the profound and the quirky. We are open to most styles and genres of fiction and enjoy all forms of poetry. While some selections are made available in electronic formats and traditional print, others will be offered as handbound originals and paper ephemera as we strive to celebrate the art of the book and letterpress printing. Our print studio consists of three presses including the Cooks Victor, the Baltimore #14 and a vintage sign press.
If you are new to Haunted Waters Press, we encourage you to visit our website to get to know us better. There you will find news and information about our small press as well as links to recent publications. Downloading free copies of our latest issues will help you get a better feel for the kinds of work we tend to publish and the level of attention paid to each and every published piece. From the Depths features custom artwork inspired by our contributors’ works to create a cohesive collection of prose, poetry and art. It truly is a labor of love. We hope you enjoy what has been described as “one of the most compelling and beautifully illustrated literary journals.”
Previously a For the Love of the Project endeavor, Haunted Waters Press is taking the plunge into the world of paying markets. In our fifth year, we will offer Grand Prize cash payments and/or semi-professional rates for works accepted for print publication in From the Depths via the Haunted Waters Press Fiction & Poetry Open, Expedited Decision, and our Free Reading Period. While we get our feet wet feet, some writing competitions and Web Editions will remain for exposure only, others will offer cash prizes, publication, or a combination of both. Please see individual listings for details.
2016 SUBMISSIONS CALENDAR
- Haunted Waters Press Fiction & Poetry Open
November 1, 2015 - February 20, 2016
- From the Depths Free Reading Period
March 1, 2016 - May 31, 2016
- From the Depths Expedited Decision
March 1, 2016 - September 20, 2016
- Penny Fiction Flash Fiction Competition
Three Rounds to be held in the months of November/December 2015, January/February 2016, June/July 2016
- Haunted Waters Press Chapbook Series
To be announced.
- Letterpress Submissions
To be announced.
Please visit our website for detailed submission guidelines and see individual listings below. Thank you!
Ends on 2/20/2016
The Haunted Waters Press Fiction & Poetry Open is open to all genres, themes, and writers.
We seek fiction of 7500 words or less, flash fiction, and poetry of any length.
Multiple entries, simultaneous submissions, and previously published works permitted.*
Accepting entries between November 1, 2015 - February 20, 2016
Grand Prize winning entry and Runners Up to be announced on or before March 1, 2016.
$250 and publication in the 2016 issue of From the Depths
Featured Author Interview to accompany published work in print and online.
All entries eligible for publication in the 2016 issue of From the Depths.
Selected works to be paid .01 to .04 US cents per word for fiction and $20 for poetry.
Featured Author Interview for online publication.
All entries accepted via Submittable. No email entries.
$10 reading fee per story or poem.
*Multiple Entries, Simultaneous Submissions & Previously Published Works...
- Multiple entries permitted. Please submit each story or poem as an individual entry.
- Previous online publication is fine, but entries must not have appeared in print. Please be certain there are no known copyright restrictions. Please provide publication details for all previously published works. Questions? Contact us prior to submitting.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted. Please notify us if your work is accepted for publication elsewhere. Entries with conflicting publication rights are no longer eligible. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
Thank you. We look forward to reading your work.
Ends on 12/31/2015
Haunted Waters Press seeks exceptionally small works of flash fiction to be showcased in Penny Fiction, a regular feature of the literary journal, From the Depths. Stories will also appear in the Penny Fiction Poster Collection.
The Penny Fiction Flash Fiction Competition will be held in three rounds.
Round One: November 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015
Round Two - January 1, 2016 - February 29, 2016
Round Three - June 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016
We seek flash fiction stories told in exactly 16 words.
One entry per author, per round. Multiple stories per entry encouraged.
Winning Entries announced within 14 days of the close of each round.
No entry or reading fees.
See full Contest Rules below.
One Grand Prize Winner Per Round
$25 and publication in the 2016 issue of From the Depths plus online Featured Author Interview
Publication in the 2016 issue of From the Depths plus Author promotion via Facebook, Twitter and HWP News.
PENNY FICTION 2016 CONTEST RULES
Tell us story in exactly 16 words—no more, no less. Extra points will be awarded for those writers who adhere to the rules. Not really. There are no points. Just read the contest rules below and impress Penny with your ability to follow instructions.
The Lovely Submission:
- One entry per author, per round. (Contributors are encouraged to submit multiple stories in a single entry, but may only transmit one submission per round.) One story is fine. Four is cool. Twenty is borderline obnoxious. We like obnoxious! Just remember: a single entry with multiple stories!
- Each Penny Fiction entry is a short story told in exactly 16 words. No more. No less. Titles are not included in word count, but should not be an extension of the story.
- No theme requirements. Looking for inspiration? Follow Penny Fiction on Facebook for weekly prompts.
- No poetry, tag lines, or jokes.
- Previously unpublished works only.
- If you make an error during the submission process, DO NOT withdraw your entry and resubmit. Resubmitted works will not be considered. Contact HWP for corrections. We are happy to assist.
The Dreadful Cover Letter:
- Include one interesting fact about yourself in 13 words or less.
- Undertakers and cat herders earn extra points.
- If we do not find you interesting, we reserve the right to make you appear more interesting.
- No long lists of previously published works. No cut ‘n paste author bios.
- Confused? Download a free copy of one our past issues and check out “The Lovely Pennies.”
Extra Penny Points:
- Follow @PennyFiction and @HauntedWaters on Twitter.
- Like Penny Fiction and Haunted Waters Press on Facebook.
The Lovely Fine Print:
Penny Fiction is a “for the love of flash” project. With the exception of the Grand Prize Winner of each round, authors receive exposure only, no monetary payment. Not even a penny. Haunted Waters Press holds electronic and print publishing rights for ninety days following publication and non-exclusive print, electronic and archival rights forever. Copyright remains with the author. Entry is taken to be acceptance of these conditions and rules. Winning authors will sign an Author’s Agreement. Yay for publishing contracts!